Thursday, December 6, 2007

Ornament Thursday

This is a variation on last week's theme--and then I promise I'm doing something completely different! No really--just wait til you see! I've been sorting through family photos and I LOVE the ones I have of Mum's family. I've always had in the back of my mind that I would do a family quilt with them (yeah, THAT's happening). In the meantime, I was so inspired by Margot's ornament of her grandmother that I thought I could do something if I created a system for whipping these up fast. So this is how to do it using Publisher:


* Create a template: 6 circles with squares to fit inside. (My squares are 2" X 2")
* Copy photos and then crop them to be square.
* Insert photos into the different squares.
* Print on card stock (you could use different colors like red & then you don't have to...

* Paint around pictures (I also used a metallic pen)
* Score around the squares.
* Cut out circles and paste together.


Each ornament follows a different theme: great-aunties, grandmother's wedding, my mother & her sister, etc. You could do this all by hand and colour-copy photos and physically cut & paste photos to fit into the squares. It was just a bit more stream-lined & quicker to do it on the computer. Then I just painted, cut, glued while watching Ellen & Oprah.


And this is what they look like:


P.S. I've successfully failed to upload the template, so I'm going to give up and get this posted!

P.P.S. To check out all the other creative artists who are participating, go to Margot's blog for a listing.

11 comments:

Linda Augsburg said...

Great idea!

Hali Chambers said...

Thanks, Linda! Happy Holidays!
:-) H.

Margot Potter said...

Oh Hali!

These are exquisite. How delightful!

What a wonderful way to treasure your family.

Merci!
Margot

Melissa J. Lee said...

I love the family tree theme! What a great idea, and the holidays are all about family, right?

Hali Chambers said...

Margot~Merci, ma cherie! Tu ROQUE!

Melissa, YES! It's all about family and the LOVE in our hearts. :-) H.

Alexa said...

now that's what I call a family tree!

Michelle McGee said...

These look great!

Hali Chambers said...

THANKS so much for stopping by, Michelle! Alexa, that would make a great book--The Christmas Family Tree: family-inspired ornaments. Hmmm.... :-) H.

Arrow said...

Hali,

I love all things vintage, so of course I'm lovin' these! Fabulous!

Kriss said...

Pretty ornaments with great memories -- what a wonderful idea.

Hali Chambers said...

THANKS Rebecca & Kriss! BTW, Rebecca: I loved your snowman! I would have said so on your blog, but I've yet to create a Wordpress account. I know...how long would it take, right? So for now I'm one of those blog-lurkers. ;-) And I LOVED Kriss's paper-inspired ornament--so pretty! :-) H.