Monday, April 23, 2012

Maggie on Monday

This week I caught a few pix of Maggie & Tabby together, lying out on the side walk. They're so funny together.




Hullo.
This is around the time you'd have a thought, "less is more," with these pictures. But I couldn't decide which ones I liked the best, so I'm posting most of them!




In the morning I let Maggie out. She walks around the yard and then sits on the side walk. This is my view as I check on her:


Later in the afternoon, Maggie heads up the ramp. However . . .

Tabby at the head of the ramp.

*sigh*

Then Maggie leans forward & plods ahead. Eventually Tabby moves.
This is my view when Maggie is coming back in:


She waits for me to come to the door. She likes a little reassurance when she crosses the threshold, so I just lightly touch her neck and then she steps in.


And that was our week. Still taking it one day at a time. I got another month's supply of Deramaxx for her. Apparently there's a shortage & I got the last batch. So we'll have to explore other options. She's past her expiration date according to the vet, but still going, er, not exactly strong. But you know, she's going.

I've been reading Patricia McConnell's The Other End of the Leash.  Brilliant-brilliant-brilliant! She talks about not approaching so dogs directly. I knew a lot of what she says, like not to hug dogs. But I changed the way I'd been cleaning Maggie's eye. Her one eye still gets a bit goopy & so I clean it first thing in the morning & give her her eye drops. We actually alternate between drops, ointment, & rewetting drops throughout the day, as needed.  Anyway, I would step over her and lean over her from behind to wash out her eye. And she would move her head all around and it was like trying to rinse out a moving target!  So I changed my approach & sit beside her, not over her. What do you know? She sits still. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. And by old dog, I mean me.  ;-)

No comments: