Monday, October 26, 2009

I'll meet you in your world

I've done a bit of traveling & haven't been on-line much these past few days. I'm sort of back now, but will be picking Mum up from the airport later today. Then! I get to hear about her adventures in the D.R. with Brother D building a house for Cambiando Vidas. While they were away, I spent some time with SIL & the nieces. They've just moved into a new home; colonial, last decorated circa 1980-something. It has good bones, but needs a bit of updating.

Anyway, the eldest has her own room for the first time, but was scared to sleep in her bed because she said there was a ghost. If you're a parent, do you logically explain that ghosts & monsters aren't real & that they don't exist? How convinced is your child after that convo? Here's a different approach: enter her world. Leave the argument about real or existing behind. It doesn't matter if something is real or not, the feeling of fear is. That's what you're really dealing with. So, here's what we did: Ghost Begone spray:
  • a few drops of Rescue Remedy flower essence
  • a few drops of Young Living Purification essential oil (aromatherapy)
  • a few drops of carnation oil
Spray into corners of room. Rescue Remedy is great for stress or fear. I put the essential oils in because they smell good, but they also are sort of a "convincer" that there's something in the spray--along with the suggestion that when you smell it, you know it's working. I just happened to have some Young Living essential oils, but you could use anything that smells good. The spray also gives the child a sense of being able to do something; to have a sense of control. So now she just sprays a bit before she goes to bed. And ghosts are gone! It doesn't matter if they existed in the first place.

After we cleared out the ghosts, the next day I got up v. early and went to . . . a really cool place that I will write about in my next post tomorrow. :-)

No comments: