Thursday, October 1, 2009

M & M

Look at that face:

SO SWEET.

I know there are people who thought I was making a mistake taking on 2 geriatric dogs. I'm setting myself up for a lot of work, not to mention inevitable heart ache. When I first got them, someone asked me, "What are you getting out of this?" "I'm not getting anything. I'm doing this to give."

But I was wrong. It turns out, you can't give without getting. And we have settled into a life together so quickly & easily, I know it was meant to be.

Fancy new dog ramp:

Well. Perhaps not that fancy. Functional.


Hanging out on the back porch.

I'm loving these girls. And somewhere in their lives, before they got dumped off on a highway from some truck, they were well-loved by someone. I can tell by their gentleness. They aren't aggressive about their food, they don't startle when I bring my hand to pet them, they don't get spazzy when I walk toward them when they're lying on the floor. They're used to someone stepping over or around them. They trust someone to touch them kindly. And these 2 gentle giants have come home to live out the rest of their days in loving kindness.

It turns out that I am getting far more than I am giving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hali, Hi, I rescue Rotties and Mari invited me to read your blog. As long as she had these two girls I never knew about it till now! I'm surprised since they have Rottie in them. These girls are supposed to be with you, reading your blog has convinced me of that. You're right, they probably were someone's dogs. Either the owner died and the family put them in the shelter. Or the owner was put in a nursing home, it's amazing what families do when their elderly get too old to take care of their pets. I hope my daughter has more love and respect for me, that she rehomes my animals and if she can't rehome them, that she keeps them till they get old & die. Is there anyway to contact you? I have a question, animal related of course and aromatherapy. Thanks Sandi
www.rescuerichmondrottweilers.com

Hali Chambers said...

Hi Sandi!
Thanks for stopping by! I think the owner did die & they got passed on to a family member who kept them in the back yard for a while. They are obviously house dogs (what other kind would you want?!) and they are so well-trained.

You can contact me: hali(at) halichambers.com Send me an email & I'll give you my phone # & we can chat. All the BEST, :-) H.

P.S. I checked out your website--Tootsie looks like a real sweetie!