Saturday, February 23, 2008

Accomplishment


This is a picture of the day my mother showed me around the house "just to look." It didn't take too long after that to decide to make the move. Prominent in the photo is the woodstove, which I thought I would never use. HA. HA.

Then it got cold-very-cold. And I had my first oil delivery. And was prompted to give the woodstove a go. Afterall, I grew up with wood heat. My Pioneer Sister has a beautiful, original, pot-bellied stove. I have a huge woodshed FULL of wood. How hard could it be? HA. HA.
Is the flue open? asked my mother as I regailed her with tales of fire-starting failures. You've got to have the flue OPEN. OK. I retreated to the library with a space heater. Nice and toasty. I was talking to my boss about the wood stove. Is the flue open? he says. Hehhh....
Then Fisherman Willie gave me firestarters for Christmas. Is the damper open? You've got to have the damper open. I said, "You know, I keep hearing about this mysterious damper-flue. How do I know it's OPEN?????" So he helped me start a fire, and eventually I learned not to let it go out. It's much easier to keep it going than to have to start a new one every morning. I've made quite a dent in the woodpile.
So here's my thought: we get a sense of accomplishment from doing. Whatever it is: learning a new skill, or creating something, or completing a task--that is the foundation for self-esteem. It is the YAY, me! place where you know without a doubt that you are good at something. You don't need validation from anyone else, you have complete ownership of the skill. And now, in the area of woodstoving...YAY, me! All cozy-toasty in the cold.

No comments: