Thursday, January 22, 2009

Seeing clearly

This is a quote from Jerry Stocking's book, Laughing with God. I was going to write an essay around this quote. But . . . I need more clarity. When you see something for what it is, when you shift your awareness, there is an easiness that comes with change. It's not so hard. Life doesn't have to be so hard. It is our struggle against what we think it should be. I recently bought a case of Trader Joe's chocolate truffles. Travel with truffles, I say. I can't eat them myself; I love chocolate but it gives me migraines. I have a fellow Gluten Free person tell me she doesn't buy them because they have gluten in them. I said I wasn't eating them, they were gifts. Well, it's the principle of it, she said with emotional intensity.

Principle? There's a principle? They're truffles! I'm not against eating them. They're just not good for me. I'm for the health of my body. It's OK for other people. They can eat chocolate-animals-gluten-dairy-caffeine-whatever. If someone can get this emotional about glutened chocolate, can you imagine what else we get our panties in a twist about? Have you ever met a peace activitist? I am just not angry enough to be one.

What was I saying? Oh, yeah. Clarity. Still looking.

No comments: