Saturday, January 29, 2011

Winter Wonderland

The snow is so BEAUTIFUL, especially when I don't have to drive in it! So I thought I'd post a few pix before it all melts.

Ms. Cardinal

I have a bird feeder that I move to center stage on the back porch, after the hummingbirds leave. I had a huge bag of bird seed that the squirrels & birds made a mess of. Bird seed all over the table, the porch, the bench, etc. There's one kind of bird in particular, don't know what it is, that would sit at the feeder and chuck out all the seeds it didn't like; hence the mess! I got a different brand of bird seed this last time, and apparently it doesn't attract the Messy Birds. In fact, what it seems to attract the most of, is our state bird. So in the little tree that is the Hummingbird Tree in the summertime, is the Cardinal Tree in the winter. :-)

Mr. Cardinal

And his harem.
This is my front yard, which changes according to the season, the weather . . .

. . . and the time of day:


In the summer time, you can barely see the trains going by:


I call them Tree Trains. There's a children's story in there somewhere . . . 

Stripey train cars add just a splash of colour to the winter white landscape.

Cedar tree behind the woodshed; lost that top part in last year's blizzard.
Let's take a walk down to the post box, shall we?

Overall Bridge.

Overall Creek.
Walking to my postbox:

The road looks OK on this part. I always think of Candy, our Mail Gal having to drive this everyday!
 Oh, lookit!  A coupla more birthday cards!

Click on card to embiggen. Mum's kinda card.

Newsy card from Philly Gal, as John calls her.
And back up the hill to the house:

You can tell Neighbor Dave is out of town with the non-plowed road!

No comments: