Sunday, October 28, 2007

In GRATITUDE: I have the BEST Karma Ever!


Have you ever evaluated the weather according to laundry? I know Nat will know what I’m talking about…we are a rare breed of people who hang out laundry on the line. I love the fresh sheets and the scratchy towels. I enjoy the whole process. It’s v. ZEN. However, I also enjoy gathering an armful of warm towels out of the dryer on a grey winter’s day. *sigh* It’s like a hug-from-the-dryer. And I appreciate the convenience of being able to do laundry whenever I want instead of waiting for Nature to comply. What’s this?! RAIN? But I’m out of jeans!
I called Mum yesterday to see what she was doing. I had made a huge pot of vegetable soup and banana bread. Our friends John & Melody were there for a visit. Well, Mel was. John-of-All-Trades was there to fix the dryer. I said, “Oh, when he’s finished, can he come fix mine?” (Insert promise of soup & banana bread). And the next thing you know, they all driiiiiiiiive the 50 minutes over to my house!
It soon became apparent that what was a minor inconvenience, was actually a house-fire-waiting-to-happen. I had started to use it when I first moved here and the dryer had gotten really hot (too hot to touch) and I smelled burning. It was suggested that the line was clogged going out of the house. Since it was summer, I just used the line and put the dryer on my To Do List. It was NOT the outside line but the way it had been connected in the first place:

John explained to me that there are 2 options to vent: either on the side of the dryer or in the back. This is how NOT to do it: the vent is not connected to anything. That hose in the back is connecting to 2 outside holes together & the vent is just blowing inside the whole dryer unit. The heating element was covered with dryer lint that was burnt.


And above is the proper connection: white plastic thingie connected to vent outside.

I am SO GLAD John went to Mum’s to fix her dryer.

In the meantime, we 3 gals had a lovely meal of soup and banana bread & I mentioned that my dear friend Robbie had given me her sewing machine when she moved to Florida. I’d not used it because it was dropping mysterious little green pieces from somewhere & I thought it must be the belt. Mel said, “Get John to look at it.” He had already saved me from burning the house down, it’s not like I had any sewing emergencies going on.

Ta Da! John was finished with the dryer & now I can do laundry whenever I please. Oh, I feel so fancy…and Mel said, “Did you ask about the sewing machine?” No, really, John has done enough! But John investigates. And now I have a working sewing machine—stay tuned for new curtains made with the AWESOME vintage fabric I got at the flea market!

I am SO GLAD John went to Mum’s to fix her dryer.

In the meantime, Mum noticed a vine that had taken over part of the porch. I thought it looked nice, but apparently it’s v. destructive. I told Mum I’d wait til the first frost, it would be easier to prune. No really, it’s on The LIST. So of course, while I was giving a percussor session for Mel, Mum hacked away the vine! All done.

I am SO GLAD John went to Mum’s to fix her dryer.

And I don’t know what magic they performed, but the ironing board cover that I had sitting by the kitchen door to return because it didn’t fit…well, they put it on, defying the laws of physics! All done.

I am SO GLAD John went to Mum’s to fix her dryer.

As I was walking everyone out, John noticed my air purifier. He said they had a bunch of them at work. I told him it wasn’t working because it needed a fuse. He said, “I’ll get you one.” Mum just gave me that I can't believe this LOOK. You know the one.

I am SO GLAD John went to Mum’s to fix her dryer.

All those little things on my To Do List have been done. The only thing left is to get the chimney swept for the woodstove; which is a job for the volunteer fire department. For a donation, they come to your house. Even in the wilderness.
And now, here's the kicker: John couldn't fix Mum's dryer yesterday because it's an electric issue, not a dryer issue. Apparently he's crawling under her house today to fix it. A BIG *THANK YOU* to John (& Mel for volunteering him) ;-) and to Mum.
P.S. Open invitation to John & Mel to come fishing. John was wearing a shirt that said "Work is for people who don't fish." PLUS FREE PERCUSSOR sessions!!!

2 comments:

Susan Grace Wisniewski said...

thank you for your blog--thank you for the reminder of the Gayatri Mantra...inspired me to listen to some Deva Premal-love you

Hali Chambers said...

Hi Susan!
Who said "Gratitude unlocks the heart?" I am SO grateful for your Light, LOVE, & inspiration in my life. THANK YOU. :-) LOVE, H.

P.S. This is the longest Mercury Retrograde EVER!!!