Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Ornament Thursday: SPROUT

WELCOME to Ornament Thursday! Here's what I did:

I found this really cool rock down at the river that was shaped like those ancient goddess figurines. When it came time to do something for this month's theme of "Sprout" I was looking at the rock and thinking that on one side it looked like a pregnant woman, and on the other side, it looked like she was holding a baby. I was going to be more realistic in my painting of it with a face, but it turned out more abstract. On the holding-the-baby side, it reminded me of Mother Mary and she's always in blue. The rock was dark grey, so I painted it white first so that the crayon would show up better. Then I heated it up in the oven at 100 degrees and melted blue crayons on one side. I really just followed the shape of the rock to make the face. Initially the heart was a baby.


On the other side, I painted it green and then added a finger labyrinth "sprout." When I looked at the whole thing, I realized it looked like the earth! So it's a Mother Earth celebration of Spring.


I added ocean labyrinth waves around the sides.

Links to the rest of the OT gang!

Alexa Westerfield - a.k.a. Swelldesigner Now that's it's time for spring, ideas are "sprouting" all over the place. Alexa creates this eye-catching notebook to keep them in order.

Art Bead Scene Some good karma is sprouting up at the Art Bead Scene with Heather's Lotus Flower Bracelet

Cindy Gimbrone aka The Lampwork Diva The Brooklyn National Anthem sprouts every year when Cindy's in Spring mode. See what it inspired this year!

Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Melanie giggles and remembers a furry friend, brings back an old mold, and sprouts up a beaded LOLhammy ceramic ornament

Helen Bradley and Michelle Zimmerman at http design It's spring and we're sprouting all sorts of wonderful art at http design. Michelle is toting her art to the market and Helen revisits a fun art school assignment for her inspiration.

Humblebeads Humblebeads celebrates spring with a Berry Good bracelet inspired by some juicy disk beads.

Jennifer Heynen of Jangles Jennifer has come up with a cute little necklace to remind you of spring.

Katie's Beading Blog Create some spring flair of your own with this easy bead embroidery idea from Katie's book, Hip to Bead.

Kriss Cramer - Spring Is In The Air Not much of a horticulturist? Me neither! But I love flowers and I enjoy growing these ones with some paper, paint, and rhinestones.

Linda and Tea at Make It Mine magazine Tea decided to join the fun this month. Check out her quilt blocks and Linda's purse.

Melissa J. Lee - Strands of Beads What do Korean playing cards have to do with a sprouting spring? Check out Melissa's blog to find out.

Michelle McGee - S-P-R-O-U-T Michelle just can't stop creating in green! A little wooden birdhouse becomes a beautiful palace!

Savvy Crafter Candie shares some happy spring memories with a cheerful felty flower idea!

Snap out of it, Jean! There's beading to be done! Jean tells a touching, poignant tale of some beads who help one another, and after a small amount of sturm and drang they get it together and help each other! In fact, they prettify whatever YOU choose! Go see! It's fun!

Spring is Sprouting for Joolz by Lisa Even without a green thumb, Lisa managed to "grow" a garden of sorts this month.

Sprouting Up with Beading Help Web Lynn Kvigne's used wire and a lentil bead to create a "sprouting" pendant for wire workers who want a bit of a challenge!

The Impatient Blogger How does your garden grow? With metal mesh, Czech glass beads and vintage French images all in a row! Margot just returned from Paris where she discovered a treasure trove of vintage paper. This scanned and sized postcard image fit the theme of sprout perfectly and the necklace was in search of a new home...add some teal metal mesh bows and accents and voila...a design sprouts forth!

Vintage Girl Teams Up With Her Vintage Momma! What does a gal do when she finds herself far from her crafting supplies? Why, she raids her mom's basement and then puts dear old mama to work! Stop by and you'll see why mom's basement is fertile ground for things that sprout!

21 comments:

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

I actually came over to see your post. haha@!!!I love the things you make.

I can't figure out what you mean though, so I must wait. wahhh

Hali Chambers said...

Hi Jean!
I LOVE the things YOU make!!! Sorry to be so cryptic. I've just done a better description of it, I hope. And a picture tells a 1000 words...I was thinking we had to have the link ready by 12 noon, not midnight, which is my blonde moment for the day. *sigh* Always next month to get it right! :-) H.

Alexa said...

Wow! What a neat way to connect with your inner spirit. Love all the colors. I didn't do the whole preview thing. I get so stressed out with my other accounts, I figure posting it up a day early, isn't that big a deal. hope I'm not breaking OT etiquette. har har.

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Hali - Thanks for the look inside your creative process. Melting a blue crayon to get deep blue is a clever technique! Love how you let the rock tell you what it was. Awesome!

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Hali - Thanks for showing us your creative process - how you let the rock tell you what it wanted to be. Melting crayon to get the deep blue is such a cool technique. Awesome project!

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Ooops! Sorry I repeated my comment, I thought it got lost! Feel free to delete one and this one too! :-)

Hali Chambers said...

Thanks, Alexa! I got a bit confused about the pre-post/preview thing...and I don't know how much time I'll have to blog-hop today. I'm leaving town at the end of the day for the weekend, so will do my best to make the rounds! :-) Hali

Margot Potter said...

Hali

This is most cool. I love that you took a found object and turned it into a piece of art.

There is not rule about posting a preview, just a few of us intuitively did so yesterday independent of each other.

No worries at all!

xoxo
Margot

Hali Chambers said...

Thanks, Madge! I've got lots of rocks waiting to get glittered, crayoned & labyrinthed. I'm sneaking over to see yours right...now! :-) H.

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

everything you make I want. jean

I really really mean it

Hali Chambers said...

Jean, you are so SWEET!!! THANK YOU! When is your birthday? :-) H.

Lisa said...

How lovely....I really like the sparkly side with the heart.

Michelle McGee said...

God, that is so freaking cool! I love how it all came together!

Beading Help Web Editorial Team said...

I love the way this evolved!! So cool that you found the stone and made it into something so incredible. :-)

Kriss said...

Great project. Two of my favorite colors together - green and blue.

Hali Chambers said...

Thanks, Lisa! I think the heart was a nice surprise--and I'm down with anything sparkley, too! :-) H.

Hali Chambers said...

Thanks, Michelle--pretty awesome to have something called "freaking cool." You're pretty freaking cool yourself! :-) H.

Linda Augsburg said...

Love that you melted crayon on the rock for color! Brilliant. And so cool that the shape of the rock inspired the image.

Melissa J. Lee said...

What a great use of a found object! I love the way it turned out.

jafabrit said...

I love painted rocks and I really enjoying looking at how you used the shape and the way you painted it. Really nice.

Hali Chambers said...

Hi Gals!
Well, I was keeping up with the comments and then something went awry. Anyway, THANK YOU ALL for your kind words of inspiration! See you next month! :-) H.