Friday, May 2, 2008

Down My Road

Red bud trees in bloom.


I've been traveling quite a bit down my road. I clocked it: 8 miles of gravel 'n' dirt to the paved road. Then another 7 to the main road. Depending on the weather gods and Farmer Joe on his tractor, it takes about 40 minutes to get into town.

Working for John Morgan has given me the luxury of working from home, so that I don't have to driiiiiiiive everyday. The seminar season is winding down for the summer, and I've been doing massage therapy at the Mimslyn's new spa as well as doing outcalls for the Victorian Inn. I have been to Luray more in the past month than I have in the prior 10 months. With that, I've gotten to become a bit more familiar with my road. Here's the thing about taking a new direction:

It always seems longer in the beginning than it actually is, only because it's new. Once you've traveled it a few times, you get to know what to expect. The road will change according to weather conditions, but you get to choose how to respond. It's OK to delay an outing if the roads are icey--sometimes it's not the right time. Nothing is worth the risk of sliding off the mountain side.

Sometimes you'll meet something unexpected; yesterday there was a v. long black snake in the middle of the road. I didn't want to drive over it, so I got out and got a branch to coax it along. It recoiled and was going to strike. Crikey!!! But it recoiled out of the way so that I could drive past it. I think it attacked my tire as I drove by, but that was my outcome. To drive by without hurting the snake (after all, it was just doing what a snake does) and without getting myself hurt. Perhaps I would not be so brave if it were poisonous.

Sometimes emergencies arise, so you deal with them then and there. Last week there was a horse trotting down the middle of the road, so I called 911. I met Buddy walking down the road who told me that the horses often escape and walk along the road. Good to know. Expect the unexpected.

Through the seasons, there is always the opportunity for stillness and gratitude. It's a GLORIOUS drive down my road. So BEAUTIFUL. Even though I have a perma-frosting of dirt on my car, I am grateful for the nature that surrounds me.

2 comments:

CelticDane said...

Hi Hali Gal - Started my BLOG today - CelticDane

Mother's Day seemed appropriate in many ways~~~~

~B

Hali Chambers said...

YAY, you!!! WELCOME to the Blogland! I'm going to go check it out right...now! :-) H.