Thursday, December 25, 2008

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Mr. Bailey

Favourite movie of all time.

My first memory of this movie is when I was 8 and I was getting over a cold. I don't know where the sibs were, but Mum & I were watching this movie and I was drinking lemon-honey tea and she was giving me a foot rub. I loved the whole concept of this movie, that you could have an alternate ending--a redo, to your life.

Buffalo Gals about to get wet tonight!


I don't want any plastics and I don't want
any ground floors . . . .


I can quote this movie by heart.

George: I see it still smells like pine needles around here.
Mary: Thank you?

I love the old-movie-proper-diction accents:
Mary's mother: Marrrry, Marrrry! Who's down there with you?
Mary: It's George Bailey, Mother!
MM: George Bailey?! What's he want?!
Mary: I don't know? To George: What do you want?
George: Me? Nothing. I just came in here to get warm.
Mary: He's making VI-O-lent love to me, Mother!

Lessons from It's a Wonderful Life:

The power of one person.
You can touch hundreds of lives and your influence ripples out. You never know what impact you may have on a person. You can be a George or a Mr. Potter. The choice is yours.

You can have plans for your life, but in the meantime, your destiny awaits.

George wanted to build skyscrapers. He wanted to travel. He got to build homes for the people of Bedford Falls. He thought himself a failure because his idea of who he wanted to be didn't match up with who he thought he was. The desires in your heart can manifest in more than one way.

You are part of a community
Your friends, family, co-workers, strangers at the store. We're in this society together.

When disaster hits, ordinary people become heroes.
Natural, bank, whatever. There are angels everywhere, waiting to give and be of service. Not just the Clarences-in-Spirit, but people. There is a saying that God doesn't have hands, so He uses ours. We see the best of humanity when we are tested with adversity. It is our calling to be of service.

LOVE wins and life happens.
What do you want, Mary? Do you want the moon? Here, I'll lasso it down for you.

Observations from someone else give new perspective.
Clarence was able to point out all of George's accomplishments where he saw none.

When you know the truth, it doesn't matter what other people gossip about.
You know it's all over town that you've been giving money to Violet Bick, says Mr. Potter to George. It doesn't matter, he knows the truth. Now wipe off the thank-you lipstick from your cheek, George.

On this first day of Christmas, I'll leave you with:
Merry Christmas, Bedford Falls.
Merry Christmas, one and all!

No comments: