Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Should

I was at FedEx sending my XBox from Ellen to Ex-XM Radio Guy. FedEx Guy measured the box and then taped up a cardboard box to put it in. When he placed the XBox in there, he couldn't close the flaps. It was too big for the box.

I don't understand it. It should fit, he said. And then--THEN! He took the XBox back out and measured it again. Then he measured the empty box. It should fit, he repeated. Back it went into the box. I stood there watching this. This was an amusing case of Shoulding vs. Reality. He couldn't quite believe that it didn't fit because it was supposed to fit. The tape measure said so. The evidence suggested otherwise. He needed to get a bigger box. Which he did. Begrudgingly.

We create a lot of disharmony when we hold on to what we think something should be. Jerry Stocking has said that the definition of a problem is anything you think shouldn't be the way it is. Hmmmm . . .

John Morgan had a v. elequent quote in yesterday's blog:

We always say no to peace when we continually piece together the reasons it shouldn't be the way it is.

Some food for thought. What am I shoulding about that I can let go of? Now there's a resolution for the new year!

P.S. Sorry for the late post. Am v. busy-and-important with John Morgan Seminars. I endeavor to be more consistent . . . that's right . . . I should be.

No comments: