Meditation is one of those things that I practice daily. It varies in length; every once in a while it's 10 minutes, sometimes it's 2 hours. Usually, it's somewhere in between. I also take 5 minute breaks throughout the day. It doesn't have to take a long time; you could start out with just sitting down for 10 minutes everyday. The key to getting in the habit is to get in the habit. Decide on a time and place and do it every day. The more you do it, the more you'll want to do it.
I do it first thing in the morning with my cup of coffee, in my Meditation Chair:
|Usually with this guy. :-)|
Meditation shifts your brain waves from Beta waves to alpha waves. Alpha waves are what you are experiencing in between sleeping and waking. It's a very relaxing space. Meditation also activates your parasympathetic nervous system, so that you are relaxed. This is important because this is the place of rest, rejuvenation and healing. Cell biologist Dr. Bruce Lipton, grandfather of Epi-genetics, says that 98% of all diseases are related to stress. So if you can manage your stress, you can manage your health. Meditation is a simple and beneficial way of enhancing your health and well-being.
If you want to explore more . . .
- Recordings of guided visualizations. First up: Dave Dobson. I have fallen asleep to Dave's Beach Trip for 30 years. This isn't technically a meditation recording, but it is incredibly relaxing and great to fall asleep to!
- John Morgan (who studied with Dave): Accomplish Anything Take a relaxing walk along the beach and program yourself for whatever you want to accomplish.
- Improve Your Self Image. John did this with me over the phone shortly after I started working for him. The knot that I'd had in my stomach for months, melted away, and I drifted off into a deep sleep.
- Dr. Joe Dispenza: Joe teaches meditations in his seminars. He also measures brain waves and before and after meditations in his more advanced courses. See more in Books section. Changing Beliefs and Perceptions
- Morning & Evening Meditations (also an app)
- Doug O'Brien (who also studied with Dave): Imaginary Journey; Health & Healing Another walk along the beach with beachy wave sounds. Doug has a very soothing voice.
- and Shamanic Journeys Guided visualizations.. AWESOME drummy music that Doug wrote.
- From Bruce Lipton: Translational Music BEAUTIFUL piano music based on Bruce Lipton's work.
- Michael Zampi; BEAUTIFUL guitar music. I use Chesapeake Bay: Reflections of Beauty when I give a massage; and Michael also let me use it in Virtual Massage.
- Deva Premal has a beautiful voice and sings chants from different traditions. Here's the Gayatri mantra in Sanskrit.
- Elaine Silver, Allelujah Canon. Breathe Deeply. Elaine has the voice of an angel! Her music opens the heart and expands the mind. www.elainesilver.com
- Drone Zone by Kay Gardner Really great background music to drown out background noise.
- You Are The Placebo: Making Your Mind Matter & Breaking The Habit of Being Yourself by Dr. Joe Dispenza
- If you find yourself lacking discipline, motivation or strategy:
- The 5 Second Rule: Transform Your Life, Work, and Confidence with Everyday Courage by Mel Robbins. Watch her TED Talk.
- Master The Day: Eat, Move and Live Better With The Power of Daily Habits by Alexander Heyne
- Meditation: A Simple Eight-Point Program for Translating Spiritual Ideals into Daily Life by Eknath Easwaran. I'm throwing in at least one book on meditation! :-)
Post a Comment