Monday, June 23, 2008

Quitting




When you quit what you perceive you have to do, you will discover what you want to do...I am not suggesting that you do nothing, I am suggesting that anything you perceive you must do ruins your life...It is never too early to quit, and it is never too late to quit. ~Jerry Stocking


I've no problem quitting for the most part. When I look back at the things I quit, my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. That goes for small things like suffering through a movie I wasn't enjoying (e.g. A River Runs Through It: through what? Where's the river?! Aaaaah!) to life-sucking jobs and relationships. When you...take a pause...and assess where you are, what you're doing, why you're doing it...you might decide to get off the hamster wheel and design a life instead of living the programs installed by well-meaning parents & teachers. Or not. Can you imagine an ad campaign: JUST QUIT? What would happen if everyone just did what they wanted to instead of what they thought they had to do? When you give up the idea that you have to do something, you create S P A C E for something else to show up.

No comments: