Monday, August 18, 2008

Trying

Last night, in the middle of a deep sleeeeeep, the smoke detector beeped. It needs a new battery. Nothing worse than being awakened from a dead slumber. No batteries in the drawer, so I tried to go back to sleep, all the time wondering when it was going to beep again.

Did you ever notice that when you try, you fail? Try it. Try doing something. Try to go to a different website right now. What happened? You didn't. Try means it didn't get done. Whatever it is. As that great muppet-philosopher Yoda said, Try not. Only do. Or something like that.

Try also implies struggling. Struggling is a reaction against what is, instead of accepting the moment. Whatever it is. This too shall pass.

So I changed my strategy: I tried to stay awake.

I fell asleep trying.

No comments: