Monday, November 24, 2008

Quote-of-the-Day


Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. ~Anatole France


I made a mistake. No, I didn't make a mistake. I was going to get a new-to-me dog, Haley. She belonged to a friend and Wife didn't want her. She was crate-trained (good) & had a cushy garage gig. But she wanted company. You see where this is going? I picked her up on Sun. p.m. in NJ on my way back to VA from NYC. I found a pet-friendly hotel to stay in somewhere in PA. Here's the lesson:
You can take the dog out of the garage, but not the garage out of the dog.
Well, maybe I could with the help of the angels & The Dog Whisperer. There was so much wrong, tho. The biggest thing was that she wasn't Barkley or Remi. And she so different--smaller, barkier, with a tail. *sigh* It just made me miss my dogs. It was a long night of pacing (her, not me--she'd settle & then any little noise & she was up again with a bark). So the next a.m., I headed back to NJ to drop her off.
Just as I was thinking that perhaps I just needed to give her more time...she peed & crapped all over the back of my car. Thank you, Universe. If I'd had any doubts, that was the confirmation I needed.
Sometimes it helps to have something you don't want to help define what you do. And sometimes it's useful to recognize when something's not working and quit, instead of making it work. I could have. I'm glad I didn't.

No comments: