Wednesday, May 6, 2009

From my book

I'm writing a learning program that incorporates my teaching, brain-based learning experience, and other skills. I have a section giving permission to be average and get a "C." Some high achievers need that. Some low achievers need to know they don't have to be perfect in everything. Some parents need to know that, too.


When you can’t stand the subject or your teacher

Let’s face it. Sometimes you’re going to get a class that’s a dud. Maybe it’s the subject matter. Perhaps it’s the teacher. Or maybe it’s both. I won’t say which college, but the subject was economics. I am still baffled as to why I was required to take that class. And the teacher was horrible. He shuffled into class wearing leather bedroom slippers and polyester leisure suits from the 70’s, reeking of cigarette smoke. He also spat when he talked and I was stuck in the front row. Beyond the poor fashion sense, he was hostile to students and picked a few to yell at. You know those teachers who want you to succeed and do well? He was not one of them. I kept my mouth shut and did the bare minimum to get through. I have successfully failed to remember any content from that class. However, I am a firm believer that there are lessons everywhere, if you’re open to finding them. Often, it’s not the content of the class, but the presentation of it. In the case of this particular class, this is what I learned:


Sometimes you just have to survive.


That’s it. Put in the required time and effort, and when it’s done, it’s done. Kind of like eating a food you didn’t like when you were a kid. Hold your nose, chew & swallow.


Sometimes you do what you have to do, in order to do the things you want to do. ~Denzel Washington

Often times you'll have a great experience, or at the very least, a good story. Many things in life are pass/fail. Sometimes "good enough," really is.

No comments: