Thursday, January 7, 2010

Check List

I had an interesting conversation last night with John. I forgot to do something and was frustrated with myself. He suggested a checklist. I swatted back: I have a checklist! But after we hung up, I retired to a nice hot bath, & thought about our conversation. I noticed a couple things: one is that when you defend what you're doing, there's no room for other more efficient or productive ways to do things. There's no room for new learning, there's no way for new growth. Which means that if I continue to defend my checklist, I'll continue to have the same issues of not making key contacts. The other thing I noticed was that it's not about the actual checklist, it's about creating a system that works. Checklist or no, I need to be organized. I thought I was, but there's always room for improvement.

We are in the midst of our busy season. It is now, working long hours everyday, that allows me to have time off during the rest of the year. Having said that, I will make an effort to continue to update my blog everyday, but if I don't, just know that I'm being very busy-and-important. ;-)
Speaking of the blog, convo with Mum yesterday:

Mum:Every post is about those dogs.
Me: Every post? That's just for M&M Mondays.
Mum: Oh.

Which brings me back to learning. It seems you really can teach an old dog new tricks. Thanks, John. [no link]

No comments: