Friday, December 28, 2012

Divinity of Dogs



"They may be the purest example of divine love in an earthly soul many of us ever experience. If we take their lead, open our hearts, and embrace their love, we may just find our own journey a lot more enlightening."

The Divinity of Dogs is a collection of dog stories from people of all walks of life. I felt such a camaraderie with all the people featured in this book; fellow dog lovers, many of whom never intended to even have a dog. But you don't have to be a dog lover to appreciate the stories in this book. It is so much more than a collection of dog stories. It is the celebration of the human spirit, as well. The author expresses so well what I know many of us dog lovers feel:

Like many people, I've always been able to count on a dog. I've never truly felt the same way about people. I know I'm not alone, and I don't look at this as a bad thing. I think it's okay. We all have trials in life. It's what we learn from them that matters. I've learned never to underestimate the ability of a dog to provide comfort where a person can't. 

What's striking about these stories is how many of the dogs featured were rescues; rescued from abuse and neglect. What's more striking, is that each story illustrates that it wasn't just the dog that was rescued; it was the human who was rescued, as well. How their lives were changed forever from knowing a particular dog.

I wrote to Jennifer Skiff before I finished reading it:

I'm halfway thru & of course have been boo-hooing thru it. Your writing has such a clarity & flow to it and your story is heart-breaking & heart warming all at the same time. Healing happens when we tell our stories but also for the people reading them. Your book is a book of healing and hope, not just for dog lovers, but for anyone who has suffered abuse. It's divinely inspired. 

It is one of those books that will have you appreciating your own 4-legged loved ones that much more. I had so many sweet memories of my others dogs come flooding back as I read each of these powerful stories. If you love dogs, you will find yourself reaching for the tissues. Don't let that deter you because you will also laugh and celebrate and have your faith in humanity restored by reading these stories. I can't say enough good things about this book. It is sure to become a classic!

You can follow Jennifer Skiff on Twitter or like her on FaceBook

 
And now a few pix of Tabby Bobcat & Bingo:
Tabby Bobcat.






No comments: