Friday, October 30, 2015

Scam IRS Calls

I got a spammy looking phone call from "Washington DC." The number was 202-741-4061 and so I let it go to voice mail. It was a horrible, automated recording; you know the kind, with the computerized woman voice. And the message was about "IRS criminal activity."

I called back, thinking it was a wrong number. When I reached a person, "Christina," with a thick accent, I realized it was a call center in India. I could hear the background noise of other callers. The woman threatened that if I didn't get a criminal lawyer to represent me, I was going to jail. Then she said, "So you can get a criminal lawyer or I will have the police on your doorstep in half an hour."  REALLY?!  Does this work?!  I didn't get a dollar amount they were looking for because I said, "Go ahead. Call the police." And hung up. It pisses me off that there are people out there who get these calls and are intimidated and bullied to hand over bank account or credit card numbers.

So this is my little rant. And if you get these kind of calls, you can report them: https://www.ftc.gov/ which is what I just did. I don't know how much good it does, but having ranted there and on Twitter and my blog, I feel better. :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this. I also wondered how can people still fall for these kind of scams, with so many warnings out there about them? I even found some reports filed just several hours ago under the same number as you mentioned above at http://www.whycall.me/202-741-4061.html. It looks like these scammers are calling random numbers at once, and hoping that some of them will fall for them. I really hope no one fall for them.

Hali Chambers said...

Thanks, Bruce. And thanks for the link! :-) H.