Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Last Stretch of Lent

Catholics, Anglo-Caths, and other Lent-observing Christians are on the home stretch. And a bit grouchy. This is the last week of religious-infused depravation. Growing up, Mum would ask us all, "What are you giving up for Lent?" It had to be tangible. She used to give up cigarettes. Back in those days, there wasn't an awareness about second-hand smoke. I should have said I was giving up passively smoking.

On Easter morning we celebrated the resurrection of Christ with a durgey hymn...Jesus Christ is risen today-ay-ay,
Ah--ah--ah--ahleluuuuu-ya!
I used to imagine Jesus standing there saying, For God's sake [and He could say that, because you know, He IS God] put some pep into the song...maybe SMILE.

After church we had an Easter egg hunt (totally pagan, BTW) and got to eat chocolate eggs. Which is what I had given up for Lent.

All this deprivation has me thinking: What if we gave up complaining instead? OR: What if there were some doctrine that said, Go forth and find pleasure. GET A MASSAGE? I think the world would be a better place if people felt better. Just a thought. This is what my brother gave up every year for Lent:

Kumquats.
P.S. I'm leaving the post as is so that you can appreciate the email I received from John Morgan:
Did you give up your spell checker for Lent or are you just depriving yourself of it?
He ofTen will inform me of spelling infractions. He's BOSSy like that.

No comments: