Thursday, March 19, 2009

Risk


I got an email from a friend yesterday about some family drama and I had a choice. Because we always have a choice. I could let it sit and hope the storm would blow over like last time, or I could write a Hallmark card with a "times-are-tough" vibe. Or I could tell the truth of how I see it and risk offending her. Guess which option I went for?

The above quote is from Jerry Stocking in the first workshop I attended with him last summer. I think I am ready to stop editing myself. Whenever you have to edit what you say for fear of a person's reaction, it limits the level of the relationship. How deep can you go? Not very. It limits what you can talk about. It limits your experiences with that person.

Why do I edit myself? I do it because I don't want to hurt someone's feelings. But does that really serve the relationship? Does that really help the person in the long run? If I just tell them what they want to hear, then they stay stuck where they are. Do you really want my help? It might not come in the way you want, but I promise that it's the best I can do from an open heart.

No comments: