Thursday, August 20, 2009

Really Cool Arrowhead

When I was 14, I lived across the river from where I am now. I was walking down one of the dirt roads after a heavy rain and I stepped over a washed out part of the road to find this:

Mum had a hippie-couple midwifery client at the time, Mary; and her husband Peter made it into a necklace for me. Just recently, I found out a little bit more about the arrowhead from my neighbor Stan, who is a bit of an archeologist. He goes on digs and has an AMAZING collection of arrowheads--and those are just the one he showed me in a yogurt cup in his car. He said that the milky quartz crystal is from one of only 2 places in VA: Madison County or Elkton. Which means my Native American warrior traveled a few miles--1500-2000 YEARS AGO. WOW. He also said that it's a triangle point, which is a specific kind of arrowhead and that that's how they date them. And lastly, the proper terminology for "arrowhead" is Projectile Point.

Because, you know, that's what Dances with Wolves & Laughing with Turkeys called them.

No comments: