Thursday, November 12, 2009

In the Supermarket

I was in the supermarket & bought some beer. It was an impulse buy--eh, beer. Oh-hey-lookit! It's gluten free! So I'm at the checkout:

Checkout Girl: I need to see your ID.
Me: Really?
Checkout Girl:
Me: Cool. You just made my day.
Checkout Girl:
Me: You know. 'cause I'm old.
Checkout Girl:

I got nothin'. I got crickets. She just shoved my stuff thru & Bag Girl bagged. I'm sure they have a store policy that everyone gets carded no matter what. Not much more interaction than that. I had gotten chicken for the dogs so before I left, I put my hand on Bag Girl's arm and said, "Thank you for separating the chicken from everything else. I really appreciate it not being near my vegetables." And I really do! I also appreciate not having a bottle of salad dressing lopped on top of my lettuce. True story.

Dave Dobson used to say if you want to see people in trances, watch them in the supermarket. I used to be a Checkout Girl. I know what that job is like. And there are 2 parts: the technical scanning items, and the interacting-with-customer part. Or not. No matter what your job, you take you to it. And because I know what it's like to be in a service industry, I also know that you rarely hear from customers unless there's a complaint. That's why I thanked Bag Girl. John likes to say,

Leave people in a better place than you found them.


We have that opportunity everyday. Or not.

No comments: