Saturday, January 26, 2008

In Memory of Barkley


She used to smile. And she was v. kissy. I was at my dear Miss Ruthie's when I picked her out of a litter of 13 puppies when she was 3 weeks old. 5 weeks later she was my faithful companion, named after my favourite basketball player, Charles. I have always loved animals, but my previous association to dogs had been a scary childhood bite from a German shepherd. It was Miss Ruthie who loved me through to a new appreciation for rottweilers. I would visit and her Gretel would lie in my lap. We called Barkley a labweiler: half black lab, and half rottweiler. Gretel was her auntie, and I can't think of Barkley without also thinking of Miss Ruthie, who was my expert consultant on children and animals.

John says there are 2 kinds of people in the world: pet lovers, and people who don't get it. Dogs, in particular, put the un in unconditional. They love us through everything. I could leave the house and return five minutes later for something I forgot, and Barkley was at the door wagging her little nub as if I'd been gone all day. Who else gives you a greeting like that? Every time, no matter what?

She was with me wherever I was and would settle in on my feet when I sat down. Or she would position her body under my feet so I would Reiki her. When she was pregnant with 10 puppies kicking and wagging, I would Reiki her belly and they would settle down and give her a break. On the first cold day of autumn, a couple months after she'd had her puppies, we went for a walk around the neighborhood. Ahead of us, in the middle of the road, was a grey ball of fur. Barkley took after it. A wild kitten was hissing and spitting at her from inside her grass clump fortress. I scooped it up in my scarf, thinking, I've got puppies to find homes for, and now a kitten, too. It was struggling to escape, but started purring as I Reikied her. Well, I guess you've found your home. When we got back to the house, Barkley lay down to nurse her. If her milk hadn't dried up, I'm sure she would have. [Miss Ruthie told a similar story about Gretel when she brought one of her lambs into the house to care for.] Barkley tended to everything else for me, tho. I had to dropper feed little Vixen and she'd be a gooey mess after her feedings. Barkley! Clean up time! And Barkley would trot over and lick her all clean.

Barkley & Vixen curled up by the fire.
Her life expectancy was 12 years. She was 15 and a half, and outlived her own mother by almost 8 years. In her later years, her hips bacame a bit arthritic. I had her on Nutriwest suppliments and Dr. Brimhall kindly sent me laser codes to laser her, noting that she was 98 in dog years, at the time. In the last year, she was on conventional meds. My vet had given her some sort of lubricating shot, and when we got home, Barkley ran up a hill. In fact, she was acting much more agile these past few weeks. Knoxville Radio Guy told me that dogs won't act sick because they are pack animals and pack animals leave the weak & sick behind. So you don't know that they're seriously sick til the end.
Barkley getting lasered.

In the past 2 weeks, I've done quite a bit of traveling. Barkley & Remi stayed with my friends Lena & Gareth, at the Mystic Pet Resort & Spa. When I first moved to Virginia, I was concerned about where I could take my dogs if I needed to travel. Any worries, doubts, or fears washed away with my first visit. Lena & Gareth treat all their guest animals as their own. In fact, they have ended up inheriting a few dogs when their owners have passed away.

I won't give the details of the last week. She went downhill v. fast. I am SO GRATEFUL to Lena & Gareth who cared for her, and to Dr. Clark who called everyday to check on her. I knew when I was driving to pick her up that she wouldn't be coming back home with me. I took her to Dr. Clark and we sat on the floor together. Her head lay on my leg as we said goodbye.

I remember her smiles and how she used to woof in her sleep and twitch her feet like she was running. Catch the squirrel, Barkley! Go get it! I used to whisper. This is the thing about having a pet; we know we will outlive them and yet how can you not love them with all of your heart? And when they leave us, the love is still there. For all of you who knew Barkley, you know how special she was. And for all of you who didn't, now you do.

P.S. Margot is spreading the word to help out A Place To Bark, a no-kill animal shelter. For a $10 donation, you can help them win a $50,000 grant. They get pointage for each donation, not dollar amount. Deadline is Jan. 31st. You can click here to contribute.

2 comments:

Susan Grace Wisniewski said...

sending love and light to your little family, soon you'll be the expert on communicating with pets who have crossed over...........

Hali Chambers said...

Susan,
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! And yes, she's with me & Remi in spirit. :-) LOVE, H.