Saturday, January 12, 2008

HAPPY B-DAY, XM RADIO GUY!!!


When I used to live in West Virginia, we would have masala chai at the Shaharazade Tea Room in Shepherdstown every Friday. We can have whole conversations speaking in nothing but Seinfeld references, The Simpsons, and of course Larry David. He has nicknames for everyone, something I've adopted for the purposes of this blog. I've heard stories about Art Chick, and 2 Names, and Chick-who-used-to-sit-next-to-me to name a few. I told him at his funeral or wedding, whichever comes first, we'll all have fun figuring out who is who in the Land of Bill Hutton.
Once he was at some psychic fair and Psychic Lady was going around the v. crowded room doing mini-reading for everyone. He was standing with his GF's cousin and she asked him, "Are you two getting married?" He said, "No." And she said, "Because I see two golden cups over your head."
Now. There's always the point in XM Radio Guy's day, where he's at the crossroad. He can go down the Serious Road, or the Get-the-Laugh Road. He takes the road less traveled:
How big are her cups? he asks. THUD. No laughs. Which he has no problem with because it makes for an even funnier story. I got nothin,' he'll say.
Some people might think he's a smart ass--and they would be right. But he also has a v. zen-Buddha softer side. I had a bag of Indian dresses to give to someone after we had tea one day. We walked to her house and she opened the door crying. CRYING. I didn't really know her all that well, but she let us in and I said, "I don't know what's going on but it looks like you might need a hug." And we chatted a bit and she calmed down. As we were leaving, we hugged again and XM Radio Guy says, "Come here, you." And as he's giving her a hug, I'm thinking, This is the Bill Hutton people don't get to see. The sweet, kind...
And then he said, "Just remember: No matter how bad things are, they can always get worse."
That's our guy. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! THIS IS GOING TO BE YOUR YEAR!!! :-) H.
P.S. Listen to him tonight on the Lucy Channel, XM 54.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! THIS IS GOING TO BE YOUR YEAR!!! :-) H.
P.S. Listen to him tonight on the Lucy Channel, XM 54. "

Heh... as i get ready to listen to his last show for XM tonight, it strikes how utterly appropriate it is for the quote above to have preceded all that it has...