Monday, July 6, 2009

Finger Labyrinth Rocks

When Mum's Cambiando friends came over for a visit, they came with little Elizabeth, 5-years-old. Just about my favourite age. Down came my curtain to reveal where I store all my art stuff. And by curtain, I mean vintage fabric tacked up with a coupla push pins. I had already shown her some of my labyrinth rocks, so it didn't take too much to entice her into creating her own rocks. We did 2:


I didn't photograph the other side before I applied the dimensional paint, but here's what we did:
Heated rocks up in oven (I already had oven on making a de-licious roasted vegetable medley).
Melted crayons on hot rock, let cool & solidify.
Painted other side of rocks, let dry. (And by "let dry," I mean used hairdryer).
Added sparkle paint. Let dry.
Added sparkle varnish (bigger sparkles, different colours). Let dry.
Added finger labyrinths with glow-in-the-dark dimensional paint. This is tricky & takes a steady hand, so I drew that part for her. She did everything else, tho. This paint takes way longer to dry, even with the hairdryer. We got it set enough to put them in a box so the lines wouldn't get squished.
We could have added jewel embellishments, like on the elephant rock I did, but Elizabeth was happy with her creations. FUN afternoon! :-)

No comments: